Call: England and Wales: 2021
Tom is developing a busy commercial, company and insolvency law practice.
He regularly appears unled in the Insolvency and Companies Court in a range of corporate matters. Tom’s recent led work has included:
– Advising the joint provisional liquidators of a substantial Bermudian financial services group.
– Advising on a challenge to a multi-billion pound overseas takeover scheme.
– A successful application for service out of the jurisdiction of a substantial insolvency claim.
– Drafting rule changes to reform the governance of a major cricket club.
Following his pupillage, Tom undertook a four-month secondment at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, where he was the lead associate on two successful applications:
– Re West African Gas Pipeline Company Limited  BCC 524, a novel members’ scheme of arrangement of a Bermudian company.
– Re Caversham Finance Limited  BCC 876, an application concerning procedural defects in the administration extensions of companies in the BrightHouse group.
During his pupillage, Tom assisted with a substantial amount of advisory work and with several noteworthy commercial disputes. Amongst other matters, he helped to prepare written submissions for the successful defence of a summary judgment application (and subsequent appeal) in Vale SA v Steinmetz  EWHC 3501 (Comm);  EWCA Civ 1087.
Prior to that, Tom was a visiting lecturer at City Law School, received Lincoln’s Inn’s top scholarship for bar school and graduated first in his year both at undergraduate level (Oxford, BA Classics) and in the GDL (City Law School).